CRAKGON conquers water leaks in Canadian flat roof surfaces
In the fourth of a series of case studies on CRAKGON we demonstrate the amazing ability of CRAKGON to provide a waterproof seal even in the most extreme situations.
Simply Paint it on and the roof is waterproof!
CRAKGON® case study no. 4.
Eliminate flat roof surface cracking.
Flat bitumen roofs crack and are difficult to seal or are they?
Here are the facts:
- Hot bitumen membranes are commonly and widely used all over the world to seal roof surfaces.
- In Canada bitumen is used to seal flat roofs
- Traditionally flat roofs would use a tar and gravel based surface which, as long as there was no pooling of water, was sufficient to prevent penetration.
- The bitumen needs to be heated to mould the material to the shape of the roof.
- Typically the bitumen sits on top of the roof and is subjected to weathering stress through the variable temperatures roofs are exposed to.
- The temperature variation can lead to the bitumen seal cracking and the roof leaking, which can be very hard to detect.
- Flat roofs are also sensitive to human traffic. Anything which produces a crack or puncture in the surface can quite readily lead to leaks.
- Normally it is not advisable to have living areas directly under such a roof either, due to the high likelihood of eventual leakage.
- Modern flat roofs try to overcome these issues by using a continuous membrane covering which can better resist pools of standing water. These membranes are applied as a continuous sheet where possible, though sealants and adhesives are available to allow for bonding multiple sheets and dealing with structures penetrating the roof surface. Far more expensive flat roof options include sealed metal roofs using copper or tin. These are soldered interlocking systems of metal panels.
- CRAKGON®-Plus with paint (elastomeric membranes) was proposed as an efficient, effective waterproofing membrane with amazing adhesion properties that still allows the surface to breathe for Canadian flat roofs.
- CRAKGON®-Plus offers a cold product application without the burning of fossil fuels, in a fraction of the time, and is long-lasting, which makes it very efficient and environmentally friendly.
- The application of CRAKGON®-Plus combines with the existing surface to create a new integrated surface replacing the need for Bitumen or other expensive waterproofing alternatives. The CRAKGON-Plus reinforcement mesh ensures the extra-gripping ability of the system.
- CRAKGON® plus was applied with two coats of paint to the roof surface and the surface was permanently and cost efficiently sealed.
- Note: the paint is applied in a criss cross pattern, as with all applications it is important to let the first coat cure completely before applying the second (and the same for subsequent coats). The first coat should be slightly diluted so as to ensure a proper wet-through and adhesion to the substrate.
CRAKGON plus is very tough. You can walk or even drive on the surface, without damage, once the product has been applied.
Succesful tests completed, the product is now being extensively used in Canada and throughout North America to replace Bitumen roofing.
Just paint it on, the environment is protected, the surface is waterproof and cracks are gone!